The recipe is as follows:
- 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup boiling water
Frosting: (I left the coffee out, because the hubster is not a coffee fan)
- 6 ounces good semisweet chocolate
- 1/2 pound (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 extra-large egg yolk, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee powder
In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter on medium-high speed until light yellow and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add the egg yolk and vanilla and continue beating for 3 minutes. Turn the mixer to low, gradually add the confectioners' sugar, then beat at medium speed, scraping down the bowl as necessary, until smooth and creamy. Dissolve the coffee powder in 2 teaspoons of the hottest tap water. On low speed, add the chocolate and coffee to the butter mixture and mix until blended. Don't whip! Spread immediately on the cooled cake.
Please believe me, this cake is so easy to make... and MOIST! Oh My Goodness!
Everyone loved it. Word got out about the cake, and neighbors started coming over for a slice....... okay, that last part did not happen. But even my Mother-in-Law liked it.
Can we all say WOW and YAY to in-laws liking their kid's cooking!?